A very good summary of the problems with academic publishing:
Why Academic Papers Are A Terrible Discussion Forum
Here are the bullet points:
1. The time lag is huge; it’s measured in months, or even years.
2. Most academic publications are inaccessible outside universities.
3. Virtually no one reads most academic publications.
4. It’s very unusual to make successful philosophical arguments in paper form.
5. Papers don’t have prestige outside a narrow subset of society.
6. Getting people to read papers is difficult.
7. Academia selects for conformity.
8. Papers have a tradition of violating the bottom line rule.
9. Academic moderation is both very strict and badly run.